Sunday, December 8, 2013

Papa, My Book, and a Fight

Papa saw my book and I told him about it. He asked me if I wanted to read it and I agreed. He hesitated a lot and said that it's been a while since he read. He started teaching me the alphabet. I got it down and we started reading together. But at school, when everyone had to read, Sister Maria let everyone read but me. That Saukerl Rudy told her and she didn't want me to. She gave me the book anyway and I walked to the front of the class. I opened my mouth and I realized that it didn't make sense to me. I was about to cry. I couldn't embarrass myself. So I started the first paragraph of The Gravedigger's Handbook. Sister Maria realized and snatched the book from me. I was sent to the corridor and everyone laughed. Then, a boy taunted me with a book. He laughed at me and asked if I could read a word for him. Rudy told me to ignore him. Soon, I couldn't help help it. I took the book from the boy (Ludwig Schmeikl) and he smiled over his shoulder. I threw it away and kicked him in the groin. He fell to the floor. I lost my temper and shrieked. He laughed. I threw myself on him and scratched and clawed at him. A girl shrieked that I was going to kill him. I then stopped when I saw that boy. Tommy Müller. He was smiling like an idiot. I fumed and started punching him, too. He started wailing and asking what I was doing. I stopped, and, on my knees, I sucked in air. I listened to the groans. I said, "I'm not stupid." No one said a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment